regarding msp430 addhi3_cy

Hi,

I am studying the msp430 port and have come accross a question, I know that
addhi3_cy is not a standart pattren name and I can only find it in msp430.md
once which is the the pattren defination, so my question how did gcc know
when to call this pattren if we did not tell gcc how and when to use it ?

Thanks