Re: C inlines that are also builtins.

Martin Sebor <msebor@gmail.com> writes:

> On 11/11/2015 04:58 AM, Sergey Organov wrote:
>> Marc Glisse <marc.glisse@inria.fr> writes:

>>> Then you should be using -ffreestanding (which implies -fno-builtin).
>>
>> Yeah, but I do want nice GCC builtins where possible and I don't want to
>> track what functions are (currently; on this particular target) GCC
>> builtins and what are not. Basically, it's a problem of making
>> environment as close to hosted as possible without supporting all the
>> required hosted functionality.
>
> If I understand correctly it sounds to me like what you're looking
> for is the opposite of what I requested in bug 59219 in a slightly
> different context. By defining a function like memcpy inline and
> in terms of __builtin__memcpy_chk GCC expands it inline when it
> can even when -fno-builtin is used. The bug suggests to change
> it but since it's not been implemented (yet) and may never be it
> should be possible to rely on the current behavior.

Dunno if it's opposite or not as I don't quite understand you case. Most
probably it's ortogonal to what I need.

I need to be able to port particular code that works with -std=gnu89
compilation mode to -std=gnu99 or -std=gnu11. This code uses its own
implementation of libc/libm that heavily uses "extern inline" for
standard functions. Right now this task seems to be close to
imopossible, as GCC builtins are always (implicitly) declared as if
-std=gnu89 mode were active. I.e., builtins seem to implicitly get
"extern inline" declaration, while in -std=gnu99 and above modes they
rather should be declared "inline".

-- Sergey.