Re: Unexpected value-at for NULL'd pointer with pthreads

>> You are nulling the local variable, not the array element it points to.
>
> In case that doesn't make the problem obvious: each thread executing
> start_routine has its own local variables.

That makes perfect sense.  I'll incorporate the changes into the
simplified program and then into my main project and report back.
Sadly I knew about all the pass-by-value-only stuff and still missed
this even after hours of looking; thanks for the second set of eyes.