Re: Custom gcc installation include files

On 24 June 2015 at 11:56, Siddhartha Jain wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a custom installation of gcc 4.8.1 in my home directory.
> However the include files in that installation have no extensions!
> (except for tgmath.h, fenv.h, complex.h, and cxxabi.h)

Which files are you talking about?

Most C++ Standard Library headers do not have extensions, so that's normal.

> Thus even if I include the installation include directory (for me
> under include/c++/4.8.1) in C_INCLUDE_PATH, it still goes to the
> system-wide gcc include files.

You should never need to add GCC's own include directories to its
search paths, it looks there automatically. So you're doing something
wrong.

> Why do the include files in the gcc install not have extensions and
> will renaming them to have a .h extension fix the problem?

What problem?

Most C++ headers are not supposed to have extensions, so renaming them
is not going to help.

It sounds like you have some problem compiling something and are
confused about C++ headers, but it's hard to tell. Please describe the
symptoms of the problem, not what you think is causing it.

What are you trying to do?

What errors are you getting?