HONOR_REG_ALLOC_ORDER for mips target

The mips backed on gcc defines REG_ALLOC_ORDER to prefer
call-clobbered GPRs (t0-t7) over call-saved GPRs (s0-s7).

I read that HONOR_REG_ALLOC_ORDER was seen to be beneficial only for
selected targets (nds32 and arm) and is not currently defined for the
mips target.

When there is additional register pressure (I modified some pipeline
descriptions to allow multiple issue), I see that
HONOR_REG_ALLOC_ORDER helps. When there is no additional register
pressure, HONOR_REG_ALLOC_ORDER does no harm. (Disclaimer : This is
from a limited set of benchmarks that I have tested ).

My question is - REG_ALLOC_ORDER for mips looks reasonably performance
oriented, so why isnt HONOR_REG_ALLOC_ORDER defined by fault for this
target ?

Thanks