Re: GCC 4.9.2 Build Fails at cc1

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 7:57 AM, Cyd Haselton <chaselton@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 10:02 AM, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 8 December 2014 at 14:31, Cyd Haselton wrote:
>>> Because there's a balance between later stable version and later
>>> version that works with an in-tree build of GCC/MPFR/MPC.
>>> My reasoning was that 5.0.0 is the next version up from 4.3.2...which
>>> is the version specified in download_prerequisites...but that was
>>> before finding out that version 5.0.0 introduced a bunch of new code.
>>
>> But if there are bugs introduced in the jump from 4.y.z to the new
>> major release 5.0.0 then they will be fixed in 5.0.1, and even more
>> will be fixed in 5.0.2, and so on.
>>
>> In general 5.0.1 will not introduce any new features since 5.0.0, it
>> will only stabilise it and fix bugs. The same applies to GCC releases.
>> So your reasoning that keeps leading you to x.y.0 releases is
>> seriously flawed. x.y.0 is invariably the worst of all x.y.z releases.
>
> Just an FYI and as reference for those also building on Android,
> building gmp6 did complete successfully with one minor edit to one of
> the source files, referenced here:
> https://gmplib.org/list-archives/gmp-bugs/2014-July/003510.html
> In case of link breakage, the edit is to div_qr_1n_pi1.c, and the
> change involves replacing
>
> #if defined (__GNUC__)
>
> with
>
> #if defined (__GNUC__) && ! defined (NO_ASM)
>
> Regarding the overall GCC 4.9.2 build and the error referenced in the
> original email, I've restarted the top-level build (after running into
> an error with mpc finding mpfr.h) and will post back if the later
> versions of gmp and mpfr resolved it.

As promised, posting back to report that the following reeolved the
original issue:
1.  Using gmp6 and recommended version of mpfr
2.  With gmp6, it was necessary to copy the newly made library to the
location specified in my library path in order for the tests to run
successfully and for the gcc in-tree build to not throw various __gmpn
unresolved errors.  This may be due to the fakechroot environment in
which i'm running the build.