Re: building gcc 4.9.0 cross compiler for msp430 fails - cannot compute suffix of object files

13.5.2014 17:11, Christoph K. kirjoitti:
Probably building libgcc needs some headers from the target C library
headers.  If it was told being newlib, then the configury system would
have known where they are :  In the provided newlib sources,
'newlib' and 'libgloss' subdirs from them being symlinked into the GCC
sources...
config.log snippet (whole file as attachment):
/tmp/cctnz0X9.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/cctnz0X9.s:24: Error: unknown pseudo-op: `.refsym'

I checked the msp430(-elf) case with gcc-4.9.0 and first also I had too old binutils sources first and got something equal with them. But with the latest Linux binutils
srcs :

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/devel/binutils/binutils-2.24.51.0.3.tar.xz

these asm errors disappeared. But there still was an error which said that the exception model for msp430 couldn't be found. I used the '--disable-threads' in GCC configure but this and neither the '--with-newlib' didn't help. I would expect the msp430 not being listed somewhere telling that it's ELF-format doesn't yet use exceptions, this feature maybe being "not yet implemented", please see page 48 in :

http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slaa534/slaa534.pdf

Maybe fixing this issue is simple... Or there is something unusual in the build
process.  There seems to be instructions from Red Hat :

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/mspgcc/index.php?title=Install:redhat

which seem to suggest producing newlib with a stripped GCC (without libgcc)
first...

Trying these by Red Hat suggested steps with the uptodate srcs could help to
solve the exception model issue - it being seen in the already provided C library...