Old GCC has no -fprofile-dir -- workarounds?

Hi,
At the company I work for we have a very specific environment which we
need to use. This includes a 32-bit GCC version 3.2.3 and a 64-bit GCC
version 4.1.2.
I'm trying to integrate gcov into our build process. Due to the special
environment our applications run in, we're not able to use the
GCOV_PREFIX env variable (as described at
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Cross-profiling.html#Cross-profiling).
It also appears to me that the -fprofile-dir arg support only appeared
in GCC version 4.2.4, and we have no options to upgrade our GCC.
So my question is: is it possible to achieve the same result as setting
-fprofile-dir in later versions in any way in our current version? I
realize there will probably not be any ideal or clean solutions: any
hacks or ideas are welcome.
Thanks!

--
  GÃbor 'ShdNx' KozÃr