Tracking file processing from a plugin

I would like to track file processing, covering included header files, from a plugin, for C and C++. I can get a notification when GCC starts processing the translation unit, but I don't see a way to get callbacks when header files are included.

I want to record a log of the compilation process so that I can replay it later, outside the original build environment and potentially with different GCC versions and plugins. My naïve hope is that recording the original defines (both built-in and passed on the command line) and the contents of the files touched by GCC is sufficient for that.