Re: Variable order and location within the section - optimization level dependent

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 12:46 AM, JanÃÄek JiÅÃ <jiri.janacek@skoda.cz> wrote:

> Right, the obvious solution is to apply a struct - originally I intended to avoid this way (there are some internal reasons for that).
> IMHO the description of the "-fno-toplevel-reorder" flag (http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Optimize-Options.html#Optimize-Options) is a bit confusing - I mean especially this section: "For new code, it is better to use attributes.â

I understand that you found it confusing.  But I have to say, even on
re-reading and re-thinking, I think the statement is correct.  For new
code, it is better to use attributes.  I don't think that says or
implies that there is an attribute that means the same thing as
-fno-toplevel-reorder.

You've decided to follow a path that GCC does not support with
attributes.  That is your choice.  There are other approaches you
could use, that GCC does support directly, and for some reason they
won't work for you.  But fortunately there is a choice that works for
you: the -fno-toplevel-reorder option.  So it seems that all is well.

Ian