Re: AW: AW: EABI

Hi,

On 10/17/2013 10:51 AM, Warlich, Christof wrote:
> There aren't any hard and fast rules because system ABIs aren't
>> something that is determined by GCC: they are designed by system
>> architects.  They might choose to define all manner of variants in
>> all manner of ways.  All we in GCC can do is implement them.  So,
>> if you want to ask a specific question about an ABI we'll try to
>> answer it, but that's all we can do.
>
> Hmm - that sounds to me like offering detailed help for all
> available products but not giving information on which different
> products are available and how to obtain them :-).
>
> Sorry for being this obtrusive, maybe it helps if I try to boil down
> (parts of) my questions so that they can be answered with either yes
> or no (or who knows :-)):
>
>  1) Does is make a difference (w.r.t. ABI use?) if building a
> toolchain for i686 depending on whether I pass
> --target=i686-mytoolchain-linux-gnu or
> --target= i686-mytoolchain-linux-gnueabi to configure?

No.  AFAIK x86 GNU/Linux only uses the SysV ABI.

> 2) Does is make a difference (w.r.t. ABI use?) if building a
> toolchain for powerpc depending on whether I pass

> --target=powerpc-mytoolchain-linux-gnu or
> --target= powerpc-mytoolchain-linux-gnueabi to configure?

> 3) Again, does is make a difference (w.r.t. ABI use?) if building a
> toolchain for powerpc depending on whether I pass
> --target=powerpc-mytoolchain-linux-eabi or
> --target= powerpc-mytoolchain-linux-gnueabi to configure?

OK, those are questions that someone can answer, but not me.  I don't
know of any difference between gnueabi and eabi on PPC.

It seems to me like a very strange question to ask.  Presumably, if
you have a GNU/Linux system you're targeting, you'll configure the compiler
for that system.

Andrew.