From: Warlich, Christof
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2013 1:53 PM
To: Anandkumar, CB IN BLR STS; gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: AW: EABI

Hi Anand,

thanks for answering, but this is information that I already found from various internet sources like Wikipedia, Stackoverflow, ....

As I tried to point out in my post, I'm not so much interested in (E)ABI details themselves, but in the effect it has when passing different ABI specifications for _different_ target architectures to the configure scripts of binutils, the C library being used, e.g. glibc and most notable and relevant for this mailing list, gcc, i.e.
the differences for

./configure --target=xxx-mytoolchain-linux-gnu
./configure --target=xxx-mytoolchain-linux-gnueabi
./configure --target=xxx-mytoolchain-linux-eabi

As much as I could find out so far, it seems like -gnueabi only makes a difference for xxx=arm and -eabi makes a difference for xxx=powerpc and xxx=arm, but this is more a guess that I concluded from looking at the related configure and confif.sub scripts for gcc (and binutils and glibc).

So I'd like to confirm if I'm right so far, being interested in i*86,  mips*, powerpc and arm, and what might be good naming convention for those architectures where no differences are to be expected for the three cases mentioned above.

Cheers,

Chris