[gcc-help] boehm broken for win64; want to use one from system

Hi,

I'm building toolchains for Windows and I'm stuck building GCC 4.8.1 for
objc (--enable-objc-gc) and java because of boehm.

Basically, the boehm-gc/ copy is too old and doesn't support Windows 64.
This issue lies in typedefs from types that don't exist ("ULONG_PTR" in
gc.h for instance) but I'm not sure it's worth trying to fix the build
ssues since there will most probably be runtime issues too.

The better way would be to upgrade gc to upstream.

Since it seems to be quite some work and with drawbacks, I've tried
to use locally a more recent one that I've built; I expected something
like ./configure --with-system-gc but couldn't find it.

In order to experiment a bit more, I'm replacing (not overwriting: I rm
boehm-gc/ first) the boehm-gc/ directory with boehm 7.2d but I have at
least 3 issues:

- the two ./configure don't match:
  -> call ./configure myself and then replace ./configure with a symlink
     to /bin/true

- 7.2d doesn't provide the "gc_ext_config.h.in" file
  -> considering its content, I'm copying gcc's one

- I'm getting the following build error too:
  make[3]: *** No rule to make target
  `../boehm-gc/libgcjgc_convenience.la', needed by `libgcj.la'.  Stop.
  -> stuck since this is a more invasive change

I found an old mailing-list post stating that boehm needs to be updated
but gc.h was last changed in 2007.

How can I go forward? Is it possible to use a boehm that hasn't been
modified specifically for GCC even in a degraded-performance mode?

PS: there's at least another issue for objc: "libobjc/exception.c:528:1:
error: unknown type name âEXCEPTION_DISPOSITIONâ" but I think it's
better to wait until I can use a non-hackish boehm.

Thanks,
Adrien Nader