gcc-3, g++-3, g77-3 for cygwin

Hello,

I am in the middle of the complicated process of trying to restore gcc3 to my cygwin install, while still keeping gcc 4.7. Up to a few months ago, gcc3 and gcc4 were installed alongside each other in cygwin. The gcc link pointed to gcc4 and if I wanted gcc3, I used gcc-3 when indicating the compiler in make. This worked well, but when cygwin upgraded to 4.7, the package manager removed all gcc3 files and binaries from my install, instead of just upgrading gcc4 and leaving version 3 as it was. I still have not received an explanation as to why it was necessary to remove version 3, as opposed to leaving it the way it was with both compilers available.

At any rate, I am looking into building gcc3 from src so I will still have it available. In the past, I was using gcc 3.4. I have found the src for 3.4.4-3.4.6 at ftp://gd.tuwien.ac.at/. I am looking for some notes for how to build this for cygwin.

I did at one point manage to get 3.4.4 installed on my current cygwin by using the cygwin time machine, but when I tried to compile with it I got an error.

#error ERROR: You must use a GNU Compiler version >= 3.4.5.

I think this was from a header file _mingw.h. For this reason, should I make sure I build 3.4.5 or 3.4.6 and stay away from 3.4.4? I guess I'm asking if 3.4.5 or 3.4.6 would be more compatible with my 4.7 gcc installation.

Assistance would b greatly appreciated.

LMH