Re: gcc4.7 set is not compatible gcc4.3?

9.8.2013 7:17, Zhang, Roy kirjoitti:
Hi,

I have a database which is built on suse enterprise server 11.2 with gcc4.3. It also runs on suse enterprise server 11.2. Now I want to upgrade gcc4.3 to gcc4.7 due to database application built env is upgraded to gcc4.7.  But after I installed gcc4.7 set of packages on my database running machine, my database processes could not be started. I have to restore to gcc4.3 env so that my database can work well.

I understood this like that the "database application built env" is now partially newer than the "database running machine". Although the glibc runtimes were upgraded there are still quite a lot shared runtime libraries which weren't upgraded. Generally one should upgrade the whole runtime system to be in sync with the application build system or do things via crosscompiling, from one system to another different system... I cannot say how broken your partially upgraded system is now but all that what you did sounds odd. I myself have never tried
anything like that, expecting the result being a badly broken system :(

The right way to get a gcc-4.7 based application build system for SuSE Enterprise Server 11.2 would be to build a gcc-4.7 based crosstoolchain hosted on OpenSuSE 12.2 and targeted to SuSE Enterprise Server 11.2 if one wants the application build system to be a OpenSuSE 12.2... Or keep the application build system to be the old SuSE Enterprise Server 11.2 and only upgrade the GCC there to gcc-4.7 via building it from its sources. Not at all touching the existing runtime and development libraries which the applications will be linked against when
compiling with gcc-4.7 instead of gcc-4.3...