Re: mlock in cache

On 08/02/2013 07:14 PM, Oleg Endo wrote:
I'd say the available options depend on the processor architecture.
Maybe it's better in your case to look at different architectures and
not at the types of built-ins GCC has or doesn't have.
Definitely, this should be the core conclusion of the thread.
For example, the
SH4 CPU has some cache control instructions (not all of them are
available through GCC built-in functions):
movca.l - Reserves a cache line by marking it as valid for the specified
           address.  Does not synchronize it with memory if it is dirty.

ocbp - Write back and invalidate operand cache line

ocbwb - Write back cache line but do not invalidate it

pref - Prefetch cache line (no operation if it is already in the cache)
Very interesting, thanks for the info.
In addition to that, memory accesses can either go through the cache or
bypass the cache (there are special bits in the address for that when
accessing memory without MMU, or settings in MMU pages).
With these low level things something like what you described above
could be constructed, but probably it will be difficult to do so in a
multi tasking environment.
Why do you say so? I ask you because my main interest is a multiprocessing/multicore system. I can't see why you can't do that if you work at a very low level, like the one you mentioned, as I said previously.
If GCC doesn't have a built-in function
ready for the particular special instruction it can be issued rather
easily with inline asm.
Well, I think I mentioned this aspect before and it really has to do with finding the necessary asm directives.
Also, there's no guarantee that e.g.
__builtin_prefetch will actually emit a prefetch instruction.
Thanks a lot for that because it was another question of mine. Do you know at which part of the official documentation this thing is mentioned?

Once again, thanks a lot for the assistance, it was rather helpful...!

--
Christos Tsopokis