locking.h

Hi, I learnt and taught C programming many years ago,
I'm now trying to resurect my skills, and have been using GCC for about a
month.
I've had no problems until this weekend.
I'm failing to read a binary file which I can access quite successfully
using Editors or Hex-Editors.
However fread(), read() fscanf() etc. etc return nothing, not even an error
message.
I'm beginning to wonder if the file is locked, So am trying to unlock it
using 'int locking(int,int,long) '
But GCC fails to find locking.h.
I've tried #include <locking.h> and #include <sys\locking.h> to no avail.
I can find locking .h in C:\cygwin\usr\include, BUT is that where GCC looks?

OR  can anyone suggest some other reasons why my 'reads' are failingl?

Please - Help me! I'm drowning!

JJ