Question on move constructor

Hi,

My name is Graziano Servizi, Associate Professor in Mathematical Physics at Bologna University, Italy.

I'm using release 4.7.2 of GNU-GCC on a Fedora 17 Linux System.

I would ask you a question about move constructors, namely

WHEN are they called?

I got an example on Internet (attached) and the output they claim to be obtained (also attached) is NOT reproduced on my system (it is attached as well).

I also tried some checks of my own and I was unable to call a move constructor that I wrote in my classes (I presume in a correct way, since the compiler didn't complain). It seems to me that, anytime the standard 2011 claims that a move constructor should be called, the "classical" copy constructor is called instead, unless one explicitly use a call to the std::move function. Is this correct or wrong?

Answers are kindly requested and welcome.

Graziano Servizi

// found on http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd293665.aspx

// MemoryBlock.h
#include <iostream>
#include <algorithm>
#include <vector>
using namespace std;

class MemoryBlock
{
public:

   // Simple constructor that initializes the resource.
   explicit MemoryBlock(size_t length)
      : _length(length)
      , _data(new int[length])
   {
      cout << "In MemoryBlock(size_t). length = "
                << _length << "." << endl;
   }

   // Destructor.
   ~MemoryBlock()
   {
      cout << "In ~MemoryBlock(). length = "
                << _length << ".";

      if (_data != NULL)
      {
         cout << " Deleting resource.";
         // Delete the resource.
         delete[] _data;
      }

      cout << endl;
   }

   // Copy constructor.
   MemoryBlock(const MemoryBlock& other)
      : _length(other._length)
      , _data(new int[other._length])
   {

      cout << "In MemoryBlock(const MemoryBlock&). length = "
                << other._length << ". Copying resource." << endl;

      copy(other._data, other._data + _length, _data);
   }

   // Copy assignment operator.
   MemoryBlock& operator=(const MemoryBlock& other)
   {
      cout << "In operator=(const MemoryBlock&). length = "
                << other._length << ". Copying resource." << endl;

      if (this != &other)
      {
         // Free the existing resource.
         delete[] _data;

         _length = other._length;
         _data = new int[_length];
         copy(other._data, other._data + _length, _data);
      }
      return *this;
   }

   // Retrieves the length of the data resource.
   size_t Length() const
   {
      return _length;
   }

// Move constructor.
MemoryBlock(MemoryBlock&& other)
   : _data(NULL)
   , _length(0)
{

   cout << "In MemoryBlock(MemoryBlock&&). length = "
             << other._length << ". Moving resource." << endl;

   // Copy the data pointer and its length from the
   // source object.
   _data = other._data;
   _length = other._length;

   // Release the data pointer from the source object so that
   // the destructor does not free the memory multiple times.
   other._data = NULL;
   other._length = 0;
}

// Move assignment operator.
MemoryBlock& operator=(MemoryBlock&& other)
{
   cout << "In operator=(MemoryBlock&&). length = "
             << other._length << "." << endl;

   if (this != &other)
   {
      // Free the existing resource.
      delete[] _data;

      // Copy the data pointer and its length from the
      // source object.
      _data = other._data;
      _length = other._length;

      // Release the data pointer from the source object so that
      // the destructor does not free the memory multiple times.
      other._data = NULL;
      other._length = 0;
   }
   return *this;
}

private:
   size_t _length; // The length of the resource.
   int* _data; // The resource.
};

int main()
{
   // Create a vector object and add a few elements to it.
   vector<MemoryBlock> v;
   v.push_back(MemoryBlock(25));
   v.push_back(MemoryBlock(75));

   // Insert a new element into the second position of the vector.
   v.insert(v.begin() + 1, MemoryBlock(50));
}