Re: Reporting GCC bugs

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 6:08 AM, Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 7:53 AM, Torbjorn Granlund <tg@gmplib.org> wrote:
>> I tried to report two gcc bugs today.  I read the
>> http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs/ page, and then clicked on the link for making
>> the actual report.  I was then--without motivation--requested to create
>> an "account".
>>
>> I am not happy maintaining lots of "accounts" for this and that.  Since
>> there is no motivation whatsoever why an account would be needed, I will
>> not create one, and will not send in any gcc bug reports for the time
>> being.
>
> I'm certainly sorry to hear that you will not be reporting bugs for
> GCC.  However, we have had spam in bugzilla in the past, and it's a
> real pain to deal with.  It's even led us to being added to e-mail
> blacklists, and cleaning that up was hours of my life that I will
> never get back.  Requiring an account with a valid e-mail address is
> an unfortunate necessity on the current Internet, at least for a
> popular and well-known site like gcc.gnu.org.  I wish it were not so,
> but the fault is not with the GCC project; it is with the spammers.
>
> Ian

Captchas handle this problem decently.  Yes, they can still be
automated, but it'll take care of a huge amount.

I share the OP's attitude.  It's really annoying as a user to have to
create a new account (and subsequently a new password that I won't
remember) for every project out there that I find a bug on.  At the
very least, hooking up to the various single sign on services (OpenID)
would be a big step forward.