Re: problems building gcc-4.3.5-1 on AIX 6.1 with pthreads

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 11:44 PM, David Edelsohn <dje.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 2:12 PM, Rick Springob <rspringob@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I do not understand the relationship to binutils to gcc either. The
>> build instructions for gcc list binutils as a pre-requisite. Elsewhere
>> in the build instructions, you are told to use the native linker and
>> other tools rather than the binutil versions.  In the configure
>> script, there is an option for specifying binutils. Why is it there a
>> configuration option if it should not be used? In any case, binutils
>> are not in my path. Thus, configure does not use them. I do not think
>> that this is contributing to the current problem.
>
> Binutils does not work correctly on AIX 5, AIX 6 or AIX 7.  Do not use
> it.  Do not set extra options about which as and ld to use.  Simply
> ensure that /opt/freeware/bin/as and .../ld are not in your patch.

Does it mean that there is no way whatsoever to build cross-compiler
for AIX? No Linux->AIX, Solaris->AIX, nothing?

>> Regarding static, I am looking to build a compiler that can be used in
>> a common toolchain shared among build hosts. This ensures that the
>> compiler will behave consistently on various hosts rather than being
>> subject to the variability of the shared objects on each system. When
>> a machine hangs around for years, for example, expanding the build
>> farm with an exact replica of hardware and software becomes
>> increasingly difficult as time marches on.
>
> C++ and Exception handling will not work correctly with static
> libraries on AIX.  One also will encounter missing symbols that are
> provided by libsupc++.

Does it mean that my binaries with static libgcc and libstdc++ (custom
gcc build, so "static" library does not contain .so) work purely by
chance? Or are you writing about newest gcc versions?
--
JÄdrzej Dudkiewicz

I really hate this damn machine, I wish that they would sell it.
It never does just what I want, but only what I tell it.