Re: Building and Installing gcc-4.7.0 on Ubuntu 12.04

On 06/06/12 13:16, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
[...]
>> In others, it says firmly that srcdir == objdir should actually work.
>
> Which others?

Sorry, thinko. That should be 'in there'.

> It might work, but if you don't know what you're doing or get a
> failure using ./configure then following the recommended approach
> seems like a good idea.

Sure, but the build documentation still says that it should work. Given
that srcdir == objdir is the standard usage pattern for configure
scripts, I don't think anyone will be surprised that people will try it.

This turns out not to have been the OP's problem anyway, but given the
wiki page you pointed them at does state clearly that srcdir == objdir
isn't supported, as does the FAQ entry, it would be nice if the actual
build documentation said it too...

--
ââââ ïïïïïïïïïïïïïï âââââ http://www.cowlark.com âââââ
â "...thus there might be a great reduction in useless expenditure on