GCC4.7.0 Linux installation headache

Downloaded the âgcc-4.7.0.tar.gzâ and âgcc-4.6.3-4.7.0.diff.gzâ files
Unzipped the folders using the command terminal

Problem
For the past 5days Iâve been trying to install this compiler using the
terminal since the latest version of gcc isnât available in the software
centre (4.6.3 is there instead). And I donât want gcc 4.6.3 since it has
inferior C++ 11 support which I really need for my dissertation project the
next academic year. So far Iâm stuck on stage 3 of the stages listed below
according to the documentation.

1.	Prerequisites
2.	Downloading the source
3.	Configuration
4.	Building
5.	Testing (the optional phase)
6.	Final Install

When triying to configure the files I've tried these commands (and they
failed)

     mkdir var/gcc
     cd var/gcc
     usr@tubuntu:~/Downlaods/gcc-4.7.0$ configure
[--with-pkgversion=version] [--target=target]
//error received
âconfigure: command not found â

I thought this was how configuration was done since the stallation document
index.html stated so. So afterwards I decided to try other methods like:

	sudo ./configure
and
	sudo make ./configure

 and I get these errors
â./configure: command not found â

It just feels like it doesn't want to be configured at all, all my efforts
have been in vain and its day 5 now with no progress, very irritating :((.
Plus I've rudementary commands like

	make

	make install

	configure

	make configure

	sudo apt-get install
for sudo apt-get install I get the following output and nothing else :(

âReading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 170 not upgraded.  â

What do I do were can I find a decent tutorial since even the installation
files are giving me a headache and I'm feeling quite discouraged at the
moment.