Re: compiling gcc 2.95.3 under ubuntu 10.04.2, x86_64

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 22:14:50 -0400
Michael Shell <list1@michaelshell.org> wrote:

> find . -type f -print | sort | xargs grep CheckUnifiedSystemdir
>
> I wonder if they removed it, or is this something for a special version
> of rpm (the alternate 5.x series or some such).
>
> Google would be the way to go here for info, but Google search seems
> to be broken (error 404, with broken robot response) just now (no joke).

Well, I did not find the CheckUnifiedSystemdir in RPM5 either:

http://rpm5.org/

BTW, this package uses spaces in some of its filenames which requires
a change in the search command above:

find . -type f -print0 | sort -z | xargs -0 grep CheckUnifiedSystemdir

After Google came back, I did find out what the X-CheckUnifiedSystemdir
business is all about:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum#Fedora_16_-.3E_Fedora_17

It seems that Fedora 17 merged all the /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin stuff
into /usr/bin. So, this is a major change. The X-CheckUnifiedSystemdir
is an artificial added dependency that guards against installing
packages that require a Fedora 17 directory layout to non-upgraded
systems that are using the old layout.

But, you are using Fedora 17, right? Is your /bin dir a symlink to
/usr/bin as it should be for Fedora 17?

I am curious as to how rpmlib even can "provide"
X-CheckUnifiedSystemdir on Fedora 17 systems given that I could not find
the string in either of the RPM source package releases. Is this found
only in the  official Red Hat / Fedora releases of RPM? Red Hat, oh
what a tangled web we weave.

  Cheers,

  Mike Shell