Re: Why are mpfr, mpc and gmp needed for gcc?

On 2 April 2012 21:21, Tim Prince wrote:
> ?On 04/02/2012 12:35 PM, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
>>
>> ?As it says there, the simplest way to install them is from your OS
>> package management system. ?The next best option is to use the
>> contrib/download_prerequisites script in the GCC source. ?Either of
>> those options should ensure everything just works. The last resort,
>> which usually causes problems for people who don't know what they're
>> doing, is to install the support library from source.
>
> download_prerequisites does install from source (integrated into the gcc
> build). ?It saves a lot of annoyance over hunting for the right versions.
> ?I've used those downloads separately to configure and make installations in
> /usr as well.

Building them in-tree so gcc directly to static libs doesn't *install*
the libs, and so avoids the oh-so-common problem of needing to tell
the runtime linker where shared libraries are, which is what causes
problems for people who install the libraries separately in
non-standard locations.

Please feel free to improve the InstallingGCC wiki page if you can
make it clearer, but please note I'm more concerned about that page
giving users clear instructions that will result in a successful
installation than whether it's strictly accurate or not regarding
technicalities.