Re: GCJ gen-fib information.

On 9 March 2012 02:38, Me Myself and I <stargate7thsymbol@live.co.uk> wrote:

> I have gen-fib located inside
>
> .../objdir/gmp/
>
> It only tells me that it wants
>
> Usage: gen-bases <header|table> <limbbits> <nailbits>
>
> make install;
>
> [I am stuck on this gcj with gcc compilation, which at the make; stage, stops with this message:]
>
> fib2_ui.c:76:29: error: 'FIB_TABLE_LIMIT' undeclared (first use in this function)
> fib2_ui.c:76:29: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
> make[5] *** [fib2_ui.lo] Error 1
> make[5] Leaving directory '/home/User/gcc-4.6.2/objdir/gmp/mpn'
> make[4] ***all-recursive] Error 1
> make[4] Leaving directory '/home/User/gcc-4.6.2/objdir/gmp'
> make[3] *** [all] Error 2
> make[3] Leaving directory '/home/User/gcc-4.6.2/objdir/gmp'
> make[2] *** [all-stage1-gmp] Error 2
> make[2] Leaving directory '/home/User/gcc-4.6.2/objdir'
> make[1] *** [stage1-bubble] Error 2
> make[1] Leaving directory '/home/User/gcc-4.6.2/objdir'
> make: *** [all] Error 2

Those error messages don't match the commands you previously said you
used.  In particular there should not be an "objdir" under gcc-4.6.2,
and the build should definitely not be happening in that directory
even if it does exist...

To try to get to the bottom of your problem I've tried to recreate it
using the following steps :-

1. Starting in an EMPTY directory (Test), unzip gcc-4.6.2 - this give
me Test/gcc-4.6.2.

2. cd gcc-4.6.2

3. ./contrib/download_prerequisites - works OK with no errors

4. cd .. - now back in /Test directory

5. mkdir objdir

6. cd objdir - now in Test/objdir

7. ../gcc-4.6.2/configure - works OK with no errors

8. make - works OK with no errors!! :-)

At no point does an "objdir" directory appear anywhere under gcc-4.6.2
(although if it did momentarily I may have missed it, as I ran this
while going over lecture notes and only checked every few minutes).
However fib_table.h and gen-fib.exe were created successfully in
Test/objdir/gmp.

I think, looking through your previous posts, you're either not
entering the commands you should be (or think you are), not running in
the correct directory, or copying error messages from previous posts
instead of the latest run on your machine.

Step 1 above - start in an EMPTY directory - is probably the most
important, as you may have corrupted your source tree by configuring
or buiding within it.  Delete everything and start from scratch again.
 It won't take long, and will save a huge amount of time in the long
run.

Please, take a step back, clean off everything you've done - it isn't
working, and may never work - and go through the process slowly and
carefully again.

Regards,

David P.

PS - you don't have to start a new thread for every additional
question.  It makes the discussion difficult to follow...