Re: new to GCC

On 10/27/2011 11:58 AM, albert kasenter wrote:
I received several answers, so I hope you don't mind if I answer this one and send to all.

I am a Medical Physicist but trained back in the vacuum tube days, I have worked with computers for a long time.
Before I retired I setup the computer system used the Department of Radiotherapy at Trinity College, we had a computer lab
to teach 3D treatment planning using CT data to students. So we had 40 computers ( first with Linus and then Windows ) networked
in the department. I set it up , installed the software, taught the class and maintained the system ( but did no programming ).
( yea I told my students it was uphill both ways to school ).

In the late 70s I wrote the OS drivers for the specialized hardware (data collection board and motor driver board) for a CT scanner built by Syntex in Cupertino, Calif. Basically, I made the thing go and collect data. Other programmers designed the user interface and image reconstruction algorithms. The computer was a Data General Nova 3.

I still have several computers. My main unit ( this one ) is running windows 7 with 2 Terabit hard drives. In addition I have a laptop running
windows 98 and Ubuntu Linux. I also have a lap top running DOS.

If I was braver and could find all the software I need I would go to Linux, but for now I need the Windows 7 OS.
So what would I need for my main system Windows 7 or should I download the Linux system to start there.
I do like computers and have about 7 in various stages of repair ( tho like and idiot I got rid of my Altair after I build it ).

I set up both my desktop and laptop to dual boot into either Windows 7 or Ubuntu 11.10. I find Linux much easier to use for programming. Windows allows me to play with the rest of the world, for example, the software that came with the Canon camera I just got.

BTW, I'm not pushing Ubuntu here. I think it has become a little too complex over the years. Their goal is to produce a Windows replacement. They're doing a very good job at that, especially for the price, but I tend to prefer simple solutions. So far I haven't found a better (for my needs) Linux distribution, but I always keep my eyes open.

--Bob