Re: gcc 4.6.0

On 7 June 2011 20:20, kevin diggs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 2:50 AM, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Anyway, by far the biggest problem is the "cannot compute suffix of
>> object files" failure due to trying to install the prerequisite libs
>> by hand in arbitrary places unknown to the dynamic linker. ?A more
>> useful configure check would be to test that early on and fail with a
>> meaningful message.
>>

> I hope to avoid getting flamed for this, but ...
>
> If I give gcc a --with-gmp=<path>, I do NOT understand why that is not
> enough. Though I admit I do not understand all of the dynamic library
> location machinery. From what little I understand, If gcc built itself
> with -rpath then all would be cool??? Maybe a new configure option:
> --enable-self-rpath?

If by "self rpath" you mean setting rpath to the directory where gcc
is installed that won't help when people have installed gmp, mpfr and
mpc elsewhere (which they often do)

See http://gcc.gnu.org/faq.html#rpath for why GCC doesn't set rpath
automatically, unlike some other compilers.

If you want it to have an rpath you have that option, using
appropriate linker flags or the LD_RUN_PATH environment variable.

Or if you want to build statically you have that option, or if you
don't want to fix it to work with a specific version in a specific
location and let the dynami linker find it in its usual path, you have
that option.

> I don't know what else gmp *might* be used for on this system (in this
> case a Toshiba A75 (3.2 GHz p4)). Debian 5.x did install a gmp
> (library is libgmp.so.3.4.2). But I installed a specific version for
> gcc to use. ... just cauz buildin stuff is a hoot.
>
> kevin
>
> P.S.: ?why is the lib for gmp-4.3.2 called libgmp.so.3.5.2????????

A shared library's soname is not the same as the release number of the
project, so they don't have to be the same.

The C++ runtime library for GCC 4.6 is libstdc++.so.6.0.16