Re: gcc-4.6.0 breaks

On 2 June 2011 03:25, Bill Cunningham wrote:
> Dennis Clarke wrote:
>>>
>>> ? ?My gcc-4.6.0 compilation after compiling for quite some time
>>> decided to
>>> break with an error to stderr of something like not recognized object
>>> files.
>>> I am compiling with gcc-3.3.6. This can sure be nerve racking. Does
>>> anyone know what this means?
>>>

>> How would anyone even begin to help with this email content ?
>>
>> Okay, so let's see, so you're running Debian Linux on a DEC alpha and
>> you are trying to bootstrap GCC 4.6.0 while using GCC 3.3.6 with
>> binutils maybe maybe not and your configure line was black magic
>> while facing east with a dead cat under a rising moon ?
>>
>> My guess is that you need to face west.
>>
>> Try again with some content please !
>
> ? I didn't get a log of stderr. I wish I had it turned on now. I'm using an
> old RH 9 for the i686 and binutils-2.21 along with gcc-3.3.6. I have have
> gmp mpfc and mpc all installed and I am using make-3.82. I was rather
> surprised when it broke. If I try again I will get a stderr log.

Couldn't you have used a pencil to write down the actual text of the error?

Was it this error: http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/FAQ#configure_suffix ?
Did you read the installation docs about --with-gmp and ensuring the
dynamic linker can find libgmp etc?

See http://advogato.org/person/redi/diary/240.html and/or
http://advogato.org/person/redi/diary/229.html