Re: No gcc executable produced?

On 04/21/2011 05:56 AM, Tim Prince wrote:
On 4/20/2011 4:47 PM, David Doria wrote:
On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 11:09 AM, David Doria<daviddoria@gmail.com>
wrote:
I am trying to build gcc 4.5.2. Everything seemed to go well after
./configure and make. However, there is no 'gcc' executable produced.
configure says: "The following languages will be built:
c,c++,fortran,java,objc". So I'm assuming it should be there?

The g++ executable is produced and works fine.

Here it the output of 'make':
http://www.rpi.edu/~doriad/Upload/makelog.txt

I tried grepping for "error" but there are zillions of them (which are
supposed to be there) - any idea how to tell if something went wrong?
Or other reasons why 'gcc' isn't produced?

Thanks,

David

I also just tried the latest svn and I have the same issue?

David
By "issue," do you mean that you've only gone as far as producing xgcc?

Hey David,

what Tim suggests by his question is that the executable 'gcc' never exists in the build directory even if the build is successful. It is called 'xgcc'. 'xgcc' will finally be renamed to 'gcc' as part of 'make install'. The reason for this naming convention is listed in the source file gcc/Makefile.in:

# We call this executable `xgcc' rather than `gcc'
# to avoid confusion if the current directory is in the path
# and CC is `gcc'.  It is renamed to `gcc' when it is installed.

BR,
Andi