Re: building native cross compiler

Ian, thanks for your response!

/home/mz/gcc-test/gcc-build/./gcc/as: line 83: exec: : not found

You must build and install a cross-binutils with the same --target and
--prefix option before you configure and build gcc.
I am a bit confused, I have to admit! It is true that I did use my own GCC compiler (on the host machine) to get the GCC2 built (skipping step one of the plan), so from what I gather from your response my host compiler needs to have all the binutils for the target platform installed as well, is that correct?

Also, if I build GCC1 should I specify the different target platform I am interested in (ppc in my example) so that it could build its own binutils for that platform? Would that work?

Following from the "Building a cross compiler" section it tells me that by issuing "make" it "Builds target tools for use by the compiler such as binutils (bfd, binutils, gas, gprof, ld, and opcodes) if they have been individually linked or moved into the top level GCC source tree before configuring." - what does that mean exactly I am unclear?

The strange thing is that my host machine GCC already has i686 and x86_64 binutils installed (though as a "ready-made" package - I haven't compiled this from source so can't vouch for the correctness of these packages) and when I attempted to build GCC2 with "--target=i686-redhat-linux" it also failed! I know the host GCC on that machine works as I also do compilation for boh x86_64 and i686 arches successfully. Maybe I am missing something else.