How to stop gcc caching

Hi everyone.

My project is about 3500 lines in 75 .c files and 75 .h files. I have a makefile that compels gcc to compile all of these files every time. It only takes a few seconds.

I have noticed, though, that sometimes when I change one of the source files, gcc doesn't take the change into account right away. If I edit the file in gedit, it'll be okay, but if I transfer a new version of a file using the GNOME GUI, for example, gcc doesn't appear to know that the file has changed. It either uses an old version of the file or an old object file. Yet my directory doesn't contain any .o files.

How is gcc caching its input or output? How do I turn it off?

Richard (TIA)