Re: Compiling a cross compiler for VXWorks - "cannot compute suffix of object files"

2.2.2011 6:03, Thomas Clark kirjoitti:

I'm trying to compile GCC (right from the svn trunk) on an i686-pc-linux-gnu
host, targeting powerpc-wrs-vxworks.  I'm using gcc 4.6.0 to compile it.  I
configured it like so:

   ~/gcc/trunk/configure --target=powerpc-wrs-vxworks --host=i686-linux-gnu \
     --enable-languages=c++

The error was:

   checking for suffix of object files... configure: error: in
   `~/gcc/trunk/powerpc-wrs-vxworks/libgcc':
   configure: error: cannot compute  suffix of object files:

What else you did than started to build GCC? There are prerequisities like :

1. the target binutils being built and installed

2. the target C library being copied and installed

So GNU binutils made for 'powerpc-wrs-vxworks' and the original target
headers and libraries for 'powerpc-wrs-vxworks' should already be there
before starting to build GCC !  If these prerequisites are OK and then
the build fails, one needs help... Without mentioning these, the case
can be that one or even both were forgotten or not even being known :(

The "Prerequisites" in 'http://gcc.gnu.org/install/prerequisites.html'
is very "one-eyed", talking only about prerequisites for a native GCC
build! As if the target C libray would "automatically" be there (in
'/usr/include' and '/usr/lib') when beginning!

The Windriver VxWorks opys used to be weird because the "apps" weren't
really "executables", only "objects" being linked at runtime, so
expecting to not get any undefined symbols during a link was vain. But
the GCC build system should be aware of this weirdness and succeed in
producing the toolchain, including target libgcc, libstdc++ etc.