Re: completely unable to get Gcc 4.4.5 to build with local Gmp/Mpfr

On 28 December 2010 15:29, Marc Glisse wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Dec 2010, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
>
>> Read the FAQ:
>> http://gcc.gnu.org/faq.html#rpath
>
> Not everybody agrees that:
> $ gcc helloworld.c
> $ ./a.out
> error: can't find libgcc_s.so.1
> is a nice behaviour, or that LD_LIBRARY_PATH is ok to use, or is root, but
> that's not the topic of this thread.

Indeed, I'm dubious about it myself, but the FAQ does give the
historical reason.

>> You can pass linker flags to the gcc build, you just don't use
>> LDFLAGS. ?With gcc 4.5 and later it's --with-boot-ldflags,
>
> Maybe the paragraph about --with-gmp-lib could include a reference to this
> new option, next to the mention of LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

Patches welcome :-)
I only added the note about LD_LIBRARY_PATH recently, I agree those
docs could still do with improvement.

>> I'm not
>> sure what the right trick is for gcc 4.4, maybe LDFLAGS_FOR_BUILD or
>> LDFLAGS_FOR_TARGET
>
> or BOOT_LDFLAGS? ;-)

Aha, that looks more like it, thanks.