Why the final object file of gcc can not be executed from the bourne shell?

When I use /bin/sh and execute the following command:
gcc -o prog.o prog.c
prog.o does not have execute permission(I am talking about
read/write/execute attributes of the file owner, group and others).

Can i configure shell(/bin/sh) or ( some other component of the Linux
operating system) somehow to force gcc to create the file, prog.o,with
execute attribute set?
or the issue is not related to the shell (or OS) and gcc always create
these object file names like prog.o without executable attribute?