Converting from little-endian to big-endian

I have a little-endian gcc tool chain (gcc, gas, ld, ...) for a custom processor. The folks who built the tools are gone from the company. My job is to produce a big-endian set of tools (the processor can run either way) and need some hints. I have gotten gcc to do what looks OK by setting BYTES_BIG_ENDIAN, etc. but am having no success finding the right tweaks for gas. Any clues? Any overall strategy?

Thanks.

=    Jeff Kenton      http://home.comcast.net/~jeffrey.kenton       =