Re: Bug with cross builds?

Kai Henningsen <kai.extern@gmail.com> writes:

> Um. I almost hate to ask, but (a) how is $prefix/$target/bin/$name any
> more predictable than $prefix/bin/$target-$name;

People can and do rename the $target-$name binaries, not to mention the
use of the --program-prefix, --program-suffix, and
--program-transform-name configure options.  Those names also don't have
to be in $prefix/bin, they just have to be on PATH somewhere.  gcc has
to be able to find cc1/cc1plus somewhere, otherwise it can't do
anything.  It uses a relative path from that directory to get to
$prefix/$target/bin/$name.  See unlibsubdir in the gcc Makefile.

> and (b) why can't I
> seem to find that one for non-cross compilers?

I'm not sure why we don't install a gcc binary in that directory for a
native gcc.  As far as I know we do install the required binutils
there.

Ian