Re: Does ofstream::open method take extra parameter to set file permission ?

Hi Michael,
On Mon, Oct 04, 2010 at 11:18:32AM -0400, Michael Gong wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Following code is compiled and run fine on Solaris by SunStudio:
>
> #include <fstream.h>
> int main() {
>     ofstream errorLog;
>     errorLog.open("mylog.test", ios::out, 0666);            //0666 seems set the file permission
>     return 0;
> }
>
> But g++ failed to compile it by complaining not finding the matched method.
>
> My question is whether C++ standard library allows the extra parameter
> in the open method to set the file permission.
>
> I googled it and the answer seems to be "no", but hope someone could confirm it.
I believe also "no" -- and the C++-Standard also does not mention this
parameter in the definition of basic_ofstream (§27.8.1.8).

Beside that: A file permission mode is (in principle) not
platform-independent, but does heavily depend on the platform -- it
would be surprised if that would be offered by the standard library.

If you need to do it, use e.g. on Linux the C-function "int chmod(const
char *path, mode_t mode);" defined in <sys/stat.h>

HTH,

Axel