Re: Controlling output directories and output extensions

Edward Diener <eldlistmailingz@tropicsoft.com> writes:

> I see the '-o file' command line option but a specific compilation may
> involve many outputs so I do not see how a single '-o file' option can
> be of any use.

The only time a specific compilation will have multiple outputs is the
case of "gcc -c file1.c file2.c file3.c".  It seems easy enough to avoid
that case.

> My immediate need is to place object files and final executable files
> in separate directories with the final executable having a specific
> name and not just 'a.out'.

gcc -c -o objdir/foo.o foo.c
gcc -o execdir/foo foo.o

If that doesn't work, can you explain what you are trying to do and why
that fails?

Ian