Installation of gcc 4.5.0 on Mac OS X 10.6.3, problem with old header files?

Hello--

To be able to use the experimental C++0x features in the most recent gcc 4.5.0, I downloaded and compiled gcc from source on Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.3. The compiler used to bootstrap gcc 4.5.0 was gcc 4.2.1, which ships with the Apple XCode tools.

I configured gcc 4.5.0 with --prefix=/usr/local/gcc/4.5.0. The 64-bit compile was successful on my 64-bit Core2Duo MacBook Pro with 32-bit OS X 10.6.3 kernel, and after running "sudo make install" from the Terminal, the compiler was installed in the /usr/local/gcc/4.5.0 directory. I then added the following line to my .bash_profile file:

export PATH=/usr/local/gcc/4.5.0/bin:$PATH

Now running "gcc -v" from the Terminal shows that the compiler is currently accessible at the Bash command-line:

Matilda:binutils-2.20 nicholaskinar$ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 4.5.0

Matilda:binutils-2.20 nicholaskinar$ which gcc
/usr/local/gcc/4.5.0/bin/gcc

However, I am now finding that when compiling some software (i.e. binutils), I receive the following error:

cc1: warnings being treated as errors
strings.c: In function ‘strings_file’:
strings.c:419:3: error: ‘stat64’ is deprecated (declared at /usr/include/sys/stat.h:465)

Apparently, this may indicate that the compiler is finding old header files in the /usr/include/sys/ directory.

What can I do to ensure that the gcc 4.5.0 compiler does not find the old header files? I also use Eclipse IDE for development, so I would like to set it up so that the header search path in both the Terminal and the IDE is only for gcc 4.5.0 headers.

Moreover, I cannot find the gcc_select script on OS X Snow Leopard, so I don't know if there is a way to switch the compiler over. Is there also a way to ensure that the compiler uses headers and shared libraries only for gcc 4.5.0?

Nicholas