Re: enabling SSE for 3-vector inner product

On 05/01/2010 09:58 PM, Brian Budge wrote:
Unless you modify your algorithm to perform many dot products
simultaneously, you're probably at your limit. Depending on what
you're trying to do, you might get close to a 4x speedup on the dot
products (conversely, you might not be able to do any better)

hi Brian

may I ask you what did you mean by "many dot products simultaneously"?

from my reading, there are only limited number of xmm registers,
in order to do a dot product, I need to at least do

_mm_loadu_ps(p1);
_mm_loadu_ps(p2);
_mm_dp_ps(p1,p2);
_mm_store_ss(result1);

if I do many dot products, did you mean by repeating the above
pseudo-code for different vectors? or try to run
as many mm_dp_ps as possible for a fixed set of vectors?

In the inner loop of my code, I need to perform 12 inner
products in a row using 14 vectors. Will the overhead for

thanks

Qianqian

Brian