Version Number counting

Hi all,

I want to increase the version number automatically (script, makefile,...) if the structure definition of my shared library has changed.

My questions regarding that:
- The brute force way would be the checking of the .h-file modification date (easily done via makefile). Is there a smart way of handling real structure changes automatically? (E.g. if there is a #define directive within the .h file and I change it, it would cause a version increase, or worst case if I add a blank line somewhere it would increase too)
- My code is checked into a CVS system. If there would be an automatically changing of version numbers within the makefiles, each person that retrieves the update also increases the version number which could lead into more and more increasing numbers (x has compiled and checked in V1, y checks out via update, compiles (version changes also detected due to the differences in CVS) and increases to V2, if then checked in, z checks out and increases again to V3 and so on). I want to ensure that only the person that did the modifications increases the version number once, but automatically.

Thank you in advance,

Best regards,

Erik