This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Need help in debugging the unbuilt compiler
- From: Andi Hellmund <mail at andihellmund dot com>
- To: Vaibhav Shrimali <vaibhav dot shrimali at gmail dot com>
- Cc: gcc-help <gcc-help at gcc dot gnu dot org>, Ian Lance Taylor <iant at google dot com>
- Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:37:13 +0200
- Subject: Re: Need help in debugging the unbuilt compiler
- References: <email@example.com>
I have made some changes in the source code of the compiler. But,
while building the compiler, it shows an error saying "conftest.c:
cannot compute suffix for object files".
To understand where I am wrong I have installed debugging tools like
"Valgrind" and "ddd". But when I try to debug the conftest.c file I
find that the compiler deletes the conftest.* files when it gets an
The conftest.c error occurs as part of the GCC configure process. The
configure script uses small programs to check for certain features of
the compiler and runtime environment.
Please check out this link from the Wiki-FAQ
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/FAQ#configure_suffix which explains how-to
As a quick summary: you must check the config.log file in the
appropriate directory and there you should find the content of the
conftest.c (at least with newer versions) which failed including the
error message of the test compilation.