Re: Figuring out start and end of sections

Added back the list. Sorry for that, I had forgotten.

--
balbi
--- Begin Message ---

I guess my mailer is fishy, didn't get your mail either

Ian Taylor <iant@google.com> writes:
>> is there any way to figure out where a section starts and ends ?
>>
>> I added a specific section to my program using
>> __attribute__((section "<section name>")) and now I want to figure out
>> where that section starts so I can iterate over it and call the
>> function
>> pointers I'm adding to it.
>>
>> Do I need a specific linker script to achieve that or does the default
>> scripts give me possibility to find that out ?
>
> If you are using the GNU linker, or gold, and you make the section
> name a valid C identifier, then the linker will automatically define
> symbols __start_SECNAME and __stop_SECNAME which you can use.

so you're saying that something if I name my section _init then I should
have __start__init and __stop__init identifiers ??

The following isn't compiling:

#include <stdio.h>

typedef int (*initcall_t)(void);

static int my_init(void)
{
	printf("hello world from _init\n");
}
static initcall_t __my_initcall_my_init
	__attribute__((__used__))
	__attribute__((section("_initcall"))) = my_init;

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
	initcall_t	*fn;

	for (fn = __start__initcall; fn <
			__stop__initcall; fn++)
		(void) fn();

	return 0;
}

do I need to pass any particular option to gcc/ld to get that working ??

--
balbi