Re: surprising precision

Steve Teale wrote:
Congratulations on a helpful answer.
Thanks for the compliment. Despite my knowing much less about GCC than the experts who usually answer here, I think I sometimes have a better insight into what is confusing the OP. Then I try to provide a helpful answer. I think I did that this time.

 Yours was the first one that did
not display the almost conventional GCC guru arrogance.
But I have to disagree with you there. The GCC gurus typically answering in this mailing list, including in this thread, do a great job. I'm very impressed with the accuracy and helpfulness of answers in this mailing list. I usually learn something.

I didn't initially answer your post, because I didn't want to dilute the discussion about precision with a lot of meta discussion about GCC gurus. But now that it is already diluted by other replies, I didn't want to leave the impression that I agree with you about that "arrogance" of the GCC gurus.