Re: Strange debug behavior with 4.4.3

Steve Teale <steve.teale@britseyeview.com> writes:

> Looks to me like the sequence AST -> Generic -> Gimple is already
> chopping stuff out with no, or an incorrect, corresponding adjustment to
> the debug info and that this can't be classified as optimization.
> because it is just how the middle-tier works.
>
> I see similar behavior with 4.3.4, so it's not something that just
> happened.
>
> I don't see how you could use it if you were looking at a genuine bug,
> and did not really know what to expect.

There is active and ongoing work to improve the debug info generation
when optimizing.  Specific test cases with detailed bug reports can
certainly help.

Generally the debug info is not changed incorrectly.  One case where
the line number appears random is that some code from different lines
is identical and has been gathered together, but only one line number
is displayed, and it is not the one you expect.

Ian