Cross compiling for systems with existing GLIBC questions ...

Thanks very much to this post:
   http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2009-02/msg00122.html

my thinking that I had to build (cross compile all of) GLIBC has
(I hope) been corrected.  But I still have a few questions before
*I* can leave the topic.

1.  After compiling BinUtils for the ARM, do I need to put those
    programs at the beginning of my path to get gcc to build as a
    cross compiler?  There are many examples of the following:

        export PATH=/usr/local/arm-linux/bin:$PATH

    invoked immediately after installing binutils.
    It seems as the configure script for gcc is capable of
    finding the all the utilities with their long names
    (arm-linux-as, arm-linux-ld, etc) quite satisfactorily.

2.  Because I'm currently cross compiling non-statically linked
    programs with the older gcc version now, I assuming that in
    order to build a newer gcc cross compiler version the gcc configure
    script will have to be told where those GLIBC headers files are.
    Correct?

3.  I'm also assuming that I should be using the right version of
    the GLIBC headers: How can I determine which version of GLIBC
    is running on my target so that I can do this?

4.  (Arguably offtopic) Do I extract those headers out of the
    appropriately versioned GLIBC tarball, or will I need to invoke a
    makefile target on the glibc source to produce just the header
    files?

5.  Finally, is the necessary switch on the gcc configure command
    that locates those GLIBC headers simply:
        --with-headers=...
        ?

  - Jamie