--without-headers and --with-newlib configure options

Hello,

I have some doubts about the --without-headers and --with-newlib options when configuring a cross-compiler.

The only source of informations about these options I'm aware of is http://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html. There it is written:

--without-headers: Tells GCC not use any target headers from a libc when building a cross compiler.
--with-newlib: Specifies that `newlib' is being used as the target C library.

In other words --without-headers means not to use any libc headers, while --with-newlib means to use newlib headers. So in my opinion --without-headers --with-newlib doesn't make any sense. Despite of this, I have often seen in the web both options used at the same time. Why?

Thanks.