Unclear Configure Options

Hello,

I'm trying to compile gcc-4.4.0 but I don't understand the meaning of some configure options.

For example, what does the --with-local-prefix do? I read you should specify a directory, where the default is /usr/local. I also read it is not a directory where gcc will install files to, but it is a directory gcc will read files from. I wonder what gcc likes to find inside of it. I also wonder if it is possible to use something like --without-local-prefix.

Another option I don't fully understand is --with-sysroot, that is used only when cross-compiling. It also accepts a directory path. What does gcc likes to find inside it? Linux kernel headers perhaps? Glibc libraries?

I also don't know if it is possible to delete the specified directories after gcc installation, or if gcc must be able to access them even after installation has been done.

Thanks.