Re: Inline Assembly queries

On Tue, 2009-06-30 at 10:57 +0530, kernel mailz wrote:
> Hi Scott,
> I agree with you, kind of understand that it is required.
> But buddy unless you see some construct work or by adding the
> construct a visible difference is there, the concept is just piece of
> theory.

In this case you'd rather get the theory right :-) The problem here is
that doing it wrong won't bite most of the time ... until for some
reason gcc decides to optimize things, for example by moving things
around, and kaboom ! But it may only happen in one out of 100 cases of
the same inline function depending on the surrounding code.

> I am trying all the kernel code inline assembly to find an example
> that works differently with memory.

Well, we recently had an example in the atomic64 code for 32-bit that
Paulus wrote, where we discovered we were missing the memory clobber in
local_irq_restore() iirc. On a base UP build, we did observe the load
and stores within the local_irq_save/restore section being moved to
outside of it by gcc.

> For instance take atomic_add , atomic_add_return, while the
> atomic_add_return has the "memory", atomic_add skips it.

There is a reason for the slightly different semantics here.

The base atomic ops such as atomic_add are defined as having no side
effects and to allow re-ordering. Thus atomic_add has an explicit
clobber of the actual variable that's incremented but nothing else and
no other memory barrier instruction.

The variants that -return- something, however, have been granted
stronger semantics, because they have been (ab)used to construct what
effectively is semaphores or locks by callers, and thus we added
stronger memory barriers to avoid re-ordering of loads and stores around
the atomic operation.

Cheers,
Ben.