g77 debian lenny

Is there a recommended way to get g77 on debian lenny? Is it ok to compile and install in /opt? Where can I download gcc-3.4.6 source or binaries?

I am looking for a way to install g77 on debian lenny, after update
only gfortran is available. My research group uses a commercial software
for which we have a programming interface compiled with g77, therefore I
am looking for a way to use this if they dont provide one compiled with
gfortran.

I think I should be able to download and compile gcc-3.4.6 which has g77
support, first problem is I cant find where to download the source. Second
problem, I dont know where I should install and use the two different
versions.

Thanks for any help and advice.

-- Mathew Peet Web: http://mathewpeet.org

 There are 10^11 stars in the galaxy. That used to be a huge number. But
 it's only a hundred billion. It's less than the national deficit! We
 used to call them astronomical numbers. Now we should call them
 economical numbers. (Richard Feynman)